NCC in India was conceptualized and raised before independence, mainly with an aim to groom the youth, boys and girls both, nurture them and channelize their energy towards nation building by making them responsible citizens.
After independence, the present day of NCC came into existence on 16 April 1948, through XXXI Act of parliament. NCC was formally inaugurated on 15 July1948. The Girls Division of the NCC was raised in July 1949. On 1st April 1950, Air Wing was raised at Bombay and Kolkata. The Naval Wing of the NCC was raised in July 1952
Today, NCC has enrolled strength of more than 14.8 lakh cadets by comprising two divisions of all three services i.e. the Senior Division/ Senior Wing for boys and girls and the Junior Division/ Junior Wing for boys /girls from schools
Mission of NCC
The mission and vision of our NCC wing is to create awareness among the student community regarding its importance towards nation building. Besides, an NCC cadet is presented with a plethora of job opportunities in reputed government and public sector concerns. We intend to train students to participate in the Republic Day parade and pupils exchange program. S.D College NCC wing make contribution in the overall personality development of students and make them mentally strong to encounter the challenges they are facing in life.
Objectives of NCC
- To train volunteer youth to become confident, committed and competent leaders in all walks of life..
- To enhance the awareness level of cadets for being responsible citizens of the country
- Provide opportunities and encourage cadets to enhance their knowledge/awareness levels on life/soft /communication skills, character building/personality development.
- Conduct activities to provide value based contributions towards society in terms of social and community development.
- Undertake adventure activities for development of leadership qualities and risk taking abilities.